About this Policy
Lion takes your privacy seriously and is committed to protecting the privacy of any personal information held about individuals in accordance with applicable laws.
This policy applies to all of the Lion Group’s Australian and New Zealand companies unless that company has adopted a separate policy (collectively “Lion”, “we”, “us” or “our”), and describes the way that we collect, hold and disclose your personal information. The Lion Group consists of Lion Pty Ltd (ACN 128 004 268) and its related bodies corporate.
If you have any enquiries about this policy, please contact us using the details set out in Section 16 below. This policy does not apply to the personal information of our Australian companies’ employees in their capacity as such.
- What is “personal information”?
Whenever we refer to “personal information” in this policy, we are referring to information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. It includes things like a person’s name, address, date of birth and bank account details. It also includes information or opinions that are inferred about people such as tastes and preferences inferred from online purchases and browsing behaviour.
- What personal information does Lion collect and hold?
Lion collects and holds your personal information to allow it to perform its business functions. We will only collect personal information if it is for a lawful purpose that is directly related to one of our functions and it is reasonably necessary for us to have the information. The types of personal information we collect will depend on the nature of your dealings with us and may include:
- your name
- demographic information
- your contact details including phone number, email address, residential and delivery addresses
- your product preferences and purchase history
- any user submitted content including videos, images or other information that you provide such as through promotions, competitions or customer surveys
- payment details (e.g. credit card number)
- digital identifiers and device ID information (e.g. the location of your device)
- information about your online browsing behaviour and transactions on our websites and apps
- Location data (e.g. whilst using the Lion Go APP); and/or
- the contents of online and other communications with you, including when you call our Customer Enquiries line.
We do not collect any sensitive information about you (such as health or biometric information) unless you have provided your consent or certain limited permitted situations exist.
- What happens if I don’t provide Lion with the personal information it requires?
If you can’t, or won’t, provide us with the personal information we reasonably require, we may be unable to provide you with the information, goods or services you have requested.
- How does Lion collect my personal information?
We try to collect personal information directly from you. That collection generally occurs when you:
- request information from, or have dealings directly with us
- participate in a competition, trade promotion or survey conducted by us or on our behalf
- purchase products via our websites or apps
- access or request information via our websites or apps
- provide information to our customer service call centre, website, apps or social media platforms.
From time to time we may also collect personal information about you from third parties to help us improve our services and provide personalised services to you. For example, we may collect personal information from:
- third parties which provide services on our behalf, such as table ordering software platforms used in our hospitality venues
- our trusted partners, such as to confirm your Qantas membership if you participate in Lion’s business rewards program
- financial services organisations for fraud and loss prevention activities
- For what purposes does Lion collect, hold and use my personal information?
We primarily use your personal information to supply, sell, market and promote goods or services that you have requested from us (or that we think may be of interest to you), to help us improve our goods and services, and to personalise your experiences with us. This includes, for example:
- informing you of upcoming events, special promotions, offers, discounts and other matters across our range of brands that we think may be of interest to you
- conducting research (such as client surveys) concerning our current and future products or services
- administering, reviewing and optimising the performance of our distribution network (including allocating customers to distributors) and improving the effectiveness of any software used by the distribution network
- investigating and responding to any enquiry or complaint made by you
- analysing your interactions with our websites, social media pages and mobile applications to identify your preferences, personalise your experience with us, provide targeted advertising and help improve our goods and services
- measuring the impact of our marketing activities and generating insights to help us improve our goods and services
We may also use your personal information for other purposes that are related to those listed above and are within your reasonable expectation or are otherwise required or permitted by law. These purposes will be made clear to you at the time we collect your personal information.
- Marketing communications
We may use your personal information to send you direct marketing (including via email, SMS, phone, social media, online or mail) if you agree to let us do so and you have not opted out. All commercial electronic correspondence sent to you by us will give you the opportunity to “opt out” of receiving any further direct marketing correspondence. For online advertising and in-app notifications, you can opt-out by adjusting your device settings.
From time to time we may need to share your personal information with our digital advertising agencies and other third parties to enable us to provide online marketing materials to you. Those third parties include Affinity, Thinkerbell, UM, VMLY&R, Tealium, Braze and PMG.
If we use your personal information to send you any direct marketing communications, you have the right to request that we provide you with the source of that personal information. There is no fee for requesting this information. Unless it is impracticable or unreasonable to do so, we will provide you with the source of the personal information.
- Lion Consumer Enquiries Privacy Statement
Calls to Lion Consumer Enquiries (Calls) may be recorded for quality, training and verification purposes. Even if your Call is not recorded, we may collect and use personal information that you provide during the Calls. Some examples of how we collect and use your personal information are:
- Customer Service: we will use the personal information you provide during Calls to assist in answering your query or addressing your complaint. This may include using information you provide to contact you following the Call in response to your query or complaint.
- Quality: if your query or complaint relates to the quality of products or services provided by one of our stockists or distributors then the personal information may be used to address that issue with the stockist or distributor in question. Generally, it will not be necessary to identify you when the complaint is raised with the stockist or distributor. If it is necessary, we will seek your consent first.
- Training: we may use the recording of the telephone conversation for internal training purposes.
- Verification: if you have a complaint in relation to the quality of our products then we may retain the recording of the telephone conversation for verification purposes. We may also disclose the recording to third parties, including our professional advisors, to address the complaint or any action you may take in relation to the complaint.
- Will Lion give my personal information to anyone else?
In conducting our business, we may disclose your personal information to:
- related companies, business units or brands within the Lion Group
- third party partners, suppliers or service providers as part of us performing our day-to-day operations or services. These include logistics providers, promotions and advertising agencies, legal and accounting services, credit reporting, mail-house, prize providers, marketing, data analysis and processing and printing services and distributors
- our partners e.g. Qantas, so they can allocate Qantas points to you (when you are a member of Lion’s business rewards) or a partner who is conducting a joint promotion with Lion
Some companies may operate or hold data outside of Australia including in New Zealand, the United States of America, Phillipines, India, China, Ireland and Japan.
Where we provide your personal information to an overseas entity, we take reasonable steps to require that entity to protect your personal information in accordance with Australian privacy laws and to only use your personal information for the purpose for which it is shared. Please note that Australian law may not apply to some of these entities.
We may also disclose your personal information to other third parties where it is required or permitted under any applicable law.
A cookie is a small file downloaded onto your device’s browser. Some cookies are deleted once you close your browser (“session cookies”) but other cookies are retained even after you close your browser so you can be recognised when you return to a website (“permanent cookies”).
- deliver our websites and online content to you;
- provide personalised services and targeted advertising to you;
- enhance our website functionality and improve your browsing experience;
- measure the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns;
- improve our products and services.
- What types of cookies does Lion use?
The main types of cookies that we use are explained below:
- Essential website cookies: these cookies are strictly necessary for core website functionality. If they are blocked or disabled, you may not be able to access our websites.
- Preference & functionality cookies: these cookies collect information about your choices and preferences. We use them to enhance the functionality of our websites. Without these cookies some functionality (such as product recommendations) may become unavailable.
- Analytics cookies: these cookies are used to track how you navigate and interact with our websites. They help us identify which pages are the most and least popular and how you move around our websites. We also use them to understand how effective our marketing campaigns are.
- Advertising cookies: these cookies are used so that we can deliver targeted and personalised advertising to you. They also help prevent the same ad from continuously reappearing in your online feed. If you block these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.
- Social media cookies: these cookies are used to allow you to share our content with your friends and networks via social media networking sites. If you do not allow these cookies you may not be able to use or see these sharing tools.
We may aggregate electronic information obtained via cookies with personal information collected via other sources, including offline sources, for the purpose of improving our records and delivering targeted direct marketing to you.
We may also collect electronic information from cookies set by third parties such as social media platforms and Google. That information is collected directly from those third party providers and is subject to their privacy policies and notices.
- How can I manage or block cookies from my device?
If you do not want websites to store cookies on your device, most browsers allow you to disable cookies via the privacy settings menu within your browser.
In some cases, you can also change website settings to disable cookies and opt-out of targeted advertising. For example, you can opt-out of targeted advertising on Facebook, Google, Twitter or Instagram by looking under its account settings.
- How does Lion secure my personal information?
We take reasonable steps to ensure personal information we hold about you is protected from risks such as misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, use, destruction, modification or disclosure. Some of the security measures we routinely use include:
- Using electronic security systems to control access to systems as well as monitor and alert on unusual or suspicious activity on our network or websites;
- Encryption of data at rest and in transit, where reasonable to do so;
- Operating data loss prevention systems to monitor and alert on activities on electronic systems such as email that may contain personal information;
- Undertaking periodic data security and privacy training for employees;
- Ensuring electronic systems that may have contained personal data are sanitised and disposed of securely
No data transmission over the internet is totally secure. As a result, any personal information you send to us over the Internet (including via email) is sent at your own risk.
- How can I access and/or correct my personal information?
You have a right to ask for access to the personal information that we hold about you, and ask that we correct that personal information.
Before we provide you with access to your personal information, we may require verification of proof of identity. In limited circumstances we may deny a request for access (for example where giving access would be unlawful). If that happens, we will always provide you with written reasons for that denial.
There is no fee for requesting access, however we may charge a reasonable fee for the preparation and provision of that information to you.
For all requests, please contact our Privacy Officer.
- How do I obtain more information or lodge a privacy complaint?
We acknowledge and take very seriously every privacy query and complaint that we receive. We will endeavour to respond to you within 30 days.
If you’re not satisfied with how we have handled your matter, you may wish to contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner via the contact details listed at http://www.oaic.gov.au/about-us/contact-us-page or the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner via the contact details listed at https://www.privacy.org.nz/about-us/contact-us/.
- Contact Us
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 1800 308 388 (Consumer Enquiries)
Post: Privacy Officer
Level 7, 68 York St
Sydney NSW 2000