Zooper Dooper partners with AFLX – Experience the Unexpected
6 February 2018: Players will take to the 2018 AFLX Tournaments with a silver Sherrin in hand following the announcement of the match ball via a sky diver onto Etihad Stadium today.
The silver Sherrin has been specially produced by Russell Athletic for this year’s inaugural AFLX tournaments which begin next Thursday, February 15, at Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide.
St Kilda player Jack Billings and North Melbourne’s Shaun Atley joined AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan at Etihad Stadium where a giant X marked the ground.
“AFLX is about innovation – symbolised by the silver Sherrin, it is a new and different version of Australian Football, and this year’s pre-season period is the perfect time for its introduction,” Mr McLachlan said.
“It takes the traditional format of Australian Football on oval grounds to rectangular fields, giving us more options in New South Wales and Queensland, and internationally.
“The most unique and thrilling aspects of AFL remain in the shortened formatted matches, with seven players on the field for each club at any one time, while entertainment at the tournaments cater to kids and families,” he said.
AFLX Tournament attendees will be treated to a mixture of specifically created entertainment elements such as themed match day bars, roving face painters, kids zone (on and off the field of play), on-field commentators, opportunities to meet players and musical acts.
Mr McLachlan also announced Zooper Dooper as a 2018 AFLX Tournaments partner with their product being available for sale at Hindmarsh Stadium, Etihad Stadium and Allianz Stadium.
“We’re thrilled to add Zooper Dooper to AFLX who are supporting us in creating fun and entertaining atmosphere for families,” Mr McLachlan said.
“In AFLX rules, a 10-point goal kicked on the full from outside the 40m arc will be known as a Zooper Goal.”
Darryn Wallace, Director of Marketing & Innovation at Lion Dairy & Drinks, said it was a perfect partnership for Zooper Dooper.
“Just like the AFLX Tournament, Zooper Dooper is always looking to innovate with new flavours and is focused on fun and family. We are really excited to be an inaugural partner for AFLX – the new format is a great way for families to come together to enjoy the AFL and we can’t wait to share in the fun with all the footy fans!” Darryn said.
Each AFLX Tournament will see six AFL Clubs play across two pools in six matches before culminating in a Grand Final. An AFLX match consists of two ten-minute halves with no time on and with a three-minute halftime break. There will be a five-minute break in between each of the six AFLX pool matches and a ten-minute break leading into the Grand Final.
Fans who can’t get to the venues, are able to watch live nationally on the free-to-air channels of Seven and its digital platforms, on Fox Footy only on Foxtel and its digital platforms and in partnership with Telstra via the Official AFL website AFL.com.au and the Official AFL Live App created by Telstra, and will deliver the action live, fast and data-free for Telstra mobile customers. Fans will also be able to watch replays in full via the Telstra TV AFL App.
10 quick facts about AFLX
- Played on a rectangular field (approx. 70m width x 110m length) with four posts at each end (as per a normal AFL field). Ground markings will showcase X as the centre square and 40m arcs.
- Two field umpires, two boundary umpires and one goal umpire at each end of the ground.
- Ten players per team, seven on field at all times and three on the interchange bench. No restrictions on player rotations.
- 10-minute quarters or halves depending on the tournament format.
- Free kick against for last touch out of bounds.
- Kick-ins from behind the goal line after all scores.
- No marks paid for backwards kicks (except in forward 40m area).
- Quarters commence with a ‘ball up’ in the centre and at least two players from each team starting inside the 40m arc.
- Free shot from forward 40m arc – directly in front for deliberate rushed behinds.
- 10-point Zooper Goals when goals kicked on the full from outside the 40m arc.
For more information:
External Relations Director, Lion Dairy & Drinks
Phone: +61 437 306 437
External Relations Manager, Lion Dairy & Drinks
Phone: +61 419255 118