Lion exceeds $1 million pledge for bushfire relief – thanks to its people, partners, customers and patrons
24 January 2020: Following its pledge to donate $1 million for bushfire relief in early January, Lion has today announced it has exceeded its target with the current tally showing $1.2 million will be donated to various relief charities through its suite of support measures – and counting.
Lion CEO Stuart Irvine said the company’s response was largely led by its people.
“Every day over the last couple of weeks I have opened my inbox to see new events and initiatives organised by our teams – not just in Australia and New Zealand, but across our Little World Beverages footprint too – focused on helping the communities in which we operate get back on their feet,” Mr Irvine said.
“We are about to tick over $1.2 million – and that number is likely to increase as many customer-led initiatives continue.
“As a company, Lion is proud to be able to offer its support, but we would like to say an extra special thank you to our partners and customers for giving patrons the opportunity to simply turn up to our bars, taphouses, and restaurants and make a contribution.
“Through workplace giving, our people have contributed generously, and Lion has matched all donations dollar-for-dollar, with a running total of $95,536.”
In addition to the company-wide support measures announced on 8 January, the Lion family has pulled together to offer support in the following ways:
- Little Creatures Fremantle has donated $30,668.50 from sales generated from Raspberry Dreams between 9 and 19 January to WIRES;
- White Rabbit has donated $10,000 from the sale of White Rabbit beers at the Geelong Beer Festival on 18 January;
- Lion Australia has donated $50,000 to the South Australia Bushfire Appeal Fund;
- Little Creatures Kennedy Town (Hong Kong) has donated $3,640 from sales of its BeerGroni house brew to WIRES;
- Little Creatures Mohamed Ali Lane (Singapore) has donated $3,269 from sales of its Brut Mimosa house brew to WIRES;
- Panhead Tory Street in New Zealand has donated $1,471 from sales of Panhead Supercharger;
- The Imperial Hotel and Eumundi Brewery donated $10,000 from the Eumundi Community Brewer Fund to RSCPA Wildlife Rehabilitation Centres, and will run a week of events with proceeds going to the NSW RFS and the Australian Red Cross;
- Our colleagues at U.S. craft brewery New Belgium have also launched an appeal, with the proceeds being directed to WIRES. Lion will match these donations and direct them to the Australian Red Cross;
- Lion Australia has donated $10,000 to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal in support of the National Jockeys Trust;
- Furphy contributed $5,000 to support the fundraising efforts of Four Pillars Gin;
- Employee tips and donations from the New Belgium tap rooms will be directed to WIRES.
- Iron Jack will donate 100 per cent of proceeds from fishing shirt sales. Shirts are only $40 with free delivery Australia-wide.
- Our Dairy & Drinks team is working with BlazeAid to donate and deliver dairy and juice products to their volunteer camps across impacted communities in New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia. BlazeAid volunteers work in a disaster-affected area for many months, not only helping individuals and families, but also helping rebuild the local communities.
+61 421 765 446